Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Wednesday, July 29, 2015 - Catching Up

So much has happened since the last time I wrote...

We all went camping for the first time. Micah has never been camping before and Penelope obviously hasn't either. It was a blast and it was easy. We rented a cabin near a state park and brought SO MUCH gear! A whole group of our friends went too and we sat around their campsite most of the time, stayed up late around their campfire. Micah fell asleep on my lap the second night, sitting by the fire, and it was pretty wonderful. He was so asleep that we put him in the car, drove him back to our cabin, put him in our bed, changed him into his diaper, and when he woke up in the morning, he sat straight up in bed, looked around the room, and said, "How did I get here?" Penelope was a dream, she napped in her car seat everywhere we went which allowed us some enjoyable baby free time, she happily was passed from person to person when she was awake, she slept as well as ever (not well) at night. We found a nice little beachy area on a small river nearby and spent several hours there both Saturday and Sunday. Micah happily played in the sand and the shallow part of the water, we swam, we watch kayakers bringing their boats in, we had shade (it was a very hot weekend). We had such a wonderful time.

One other story related to Micah... We had a strange morning yesterday. I had a meeting at a physician office that started about a half hour after I usually start work, so I left a little later than usual. At 7am, I was feeding Penelope and heard Micah looking for me. He came in and sat with me while I fed her and asked if he could come downstairs with me. I told him he could but that I was leaving for work and he would have to play around until his Dada came down. He asked if I could just finish reading Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator first. I said no, we had too much left in that book. He suggested I could read it "really quick." I said I didn't have time but that we could read it that night. I got him dressed, brushed his teeth, and brought him downstairs with me. He asked if I could just play with him really quick. I said I didn't have time. He asked if he could go to work with me. I said no and that he was going to go to Erin's house today. He asked if I was going to bring him there and I said no, I had to leave now and it was too early to go to Erin's house. He pitched a fit, he wanted me to bring him and not Michael. I told him I was sorry and that I had to leave, I went out to the car and locked the front door behind me. He stood at the door with his face pressed against the glass just completely breaking down crying. I went back to the house, opened the door, sat on the step with him in my lap and told him I loved him and I was sorry but I really had to go to work. He just was so sad. After a minute, I put him back down, locked the front door and got in the car. I paused as I was driving by to wave to him and he was just crying and crying, it was so sad. We haven't done that before and I hope we don't do it again!

An update on Penelope... She is sort of getting better at sleeping at night. Two nights ago she woke up at 11 and I let her cry, 1am to eat, 3am to eat, 4am and I let her cry, and also at 5:30am to eat. Ugh. Last night she went to bed at 7pm and then woke up to eat at midnight and 2am and then slept until 6am. I can handle that! I've discovered she sleeps much better on her stomach so I just put her down that way now and I think it's kind of a cue to her that she's going to sleep and that I'm not going to come back and pick her up. She's been doing pretty good with napping too. On the days that I'm home it seems like she's good for a nap at 9am and 2pm and that schedule works well because museums and stuff aren't open until 10am so we are able to get to places early enough after her first nap, and then Micah naps at 2pm so I get a little kid-free time in the afternoon.

We've had a couple hot weeks now and have spent a few nights at the public pool. Micah and Penelope both love it. Penelope is surprisingly happy in the water, very different from Micah as a baby. Micah is now learning to hold his breath and is motivated to try to learn to swim because he watches Cece at the pool. It's such a nice way to spend a warm night!

No comments:

Post a Comment