Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - Milestones

On Saturday, we went to the Butler County Fair and Micah rode his first roller coaster. He LOVED it! First, we rode a very small roller coaster together, it was obviously for little kids, but it had a pretty nice dip and we had a great time. He was BEAMING the whole way through. I would say we did six or so laps around the little track, he waved to his dad like a maniac every time he saw him, he was just about as happy as you can imagine a kid ever being. After that, and a ride on the Ferris Wheel, we rode a roller coaster that was quite a bit bigger and seemed like it would be even better. It actually wasn't, the little one had a much better drop for some reason, but on the big one, Micah got so excited that he threw his hands up in the air on the downhill, unprompted. It was so adorable and so wonderful to be able to share that experience with him. 

In other news, I am initiating a new phase in Penelope's sleep habits. I came down with a bad cold this weekend and have been exhausted all weekend. Last night, I decided to go to bed at 8pm to take advantage of Penelope's longest segment of sleep. Of course, she woke up at 9pm, 10pm, and then again at 10:10, 10:20, and 10:38, always needing me to put the pacifier back in her mouth. I decided that it's time for her to learn to either sleep without it or to suck her own fingers or thumb. At 10:38, I went in, pulled the pacifier out of her field of vision so that she wouldn't be struggling to get it, and then told her she was okay, and went back to bed. She cried for about 30 minutes and then slept until 1:30am when I woke up in a puddle of milk after not having fed her since 7:30pm. She woke up again at 3:30 and ate. Then she woke up crying at 5. I have instituted some scheduling around breastfeeding at night right now, if nothing else just to keep myself sane. I won't feed her before midnight, and I won't feed her more frequently than every two hours after that, she doesn't need it and she's just looking for the comfort, not the nourishment. I went into her room, told her she was okay, and went back to bed. She cried again for about 30 minutes. I got up at 6am, showered, put my things together for work, she woke up at 6:30am in a fantastic mood. When I went into her room, she was smiling and holding her blanket in her hand. I know it doesn't sound like a restful night, and I can explain it, but I feel like I got the best sleep in a long time. I think just being able to lay in bed is restful in itself, even if I'm not sleeping. In any case, I think we have better nights of sleep ahead!

No comments:

Post a Comment