Tuesday, August 4, 2015

Tuesday, August 4, 2015 - The Car Door Incident

I closed Micah's fingers in the car door on Sunday. Worst experience ever. We were going to see some music in a local park and it was popular so the 30 minute car ride took closer to an hour. Michael had gotten out and started walking with Penelope because she was crying, so Micah and I were getting out while we waited for them to catch up to us in the parking area. He got out of the car and just as I was closing the door, he rested his hand on the side of the car. I saw it but I couldn't stop in time and the door closed on his ring and pinkie fingers. In that split second, I was terrified that the door would be locked and immediately started fumbling for my keys while also reaching for the door handle. Thankfully it was unlocked. He was screaming instantly, said, "I pinched my fingers!!!" and I picked him up and hugged him and told him it was okay and checked his fingers. There was an indentation on each of them where the door had closed but I didn't have any idea how they were. I took him to the back of the car, opened the trunk, sat him on the edge and got ice from the cooler and immediately put it on his fingers. I could see at that point that his fingers were okay, but he was still very upset and so was I. Michael got there not long after and I handed Micah to him and took Penelope so that I could turn around and cry just a little bit. Once we got ourselves together, I asked Micah if he wanted a band-aid and he said yes. He calmed down, the band-aid made everything better as far as he was concerned, and within a half hour he was running, throwing a ball around with Michael, and climbing on a play structure. It never did swell up and I don't think there's even a bruise. It really was awful though and it's still upsetting to think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment