Okay, "weaned" might be overzealous. Today is the first day since Micah was born that I did not breastfeed. I've been nursing just at night for about five months. I realized shortly after I took my job at the end of November that I just couldn't sustain pumping at work and so we just cut back to nursing at bedtime only. I didn't really know when I would actually stop and I couldn't really imagine how I would do it or how I would feel. But this feels just right.
Two nights ago I realized that Micah would have happily gone to bed without nursing. He just forgot about it. But it was sort of a surprise to me and I couldn't bring myself to let it happen. Last night he definitely demanded it. To be honest, I haven't been producing much milk for a while now. The whole time he nurses, he just keeps asking for the other boob and then for the other boob and then for more please and he never is really satisfied with the amount of milk he gets.
Tonight was kind of a strange night as far as bedtime routine. He had a very dirty diaper and so I took him up and changed it. Then I brought him back down to say goodnight to Michelle and Frank who are here visiting. Then we went back upstairs, I brushed my teeth while he "brushed" his, and we went to his room. He read himself a couple books while I snuck some pj's on him and after looking through the Curious George book, I just told him it was time for night night. He went down just the same as always, I don't even think he realized that we had skipped nursing (which usually happens after brushing his teeth and before the diaper, pj's, books, etc.).
I feel like it was just exactly perfect. I feel like it was precisely the right time for him. Looking back, I'm proud that he has never demanded nursing. He doesn't have a word for it and he never nurses at times other than nap and bed times. He only fed on demand for the first few months, once he was eating solid food, I just switched over to first thing in the morning, at naptimes, and at bedtime. Then I dropped the naps. And then I dropped the morning. And bedtime was the last one standing. I am proud to say that I breastfed my baby for three days shy of 1 year and 9 months. It was right for us and I will certainly miss it. By the same token, we have so many other things that make us close and I will continue to cherish those.
Two nights ago I realized that Micah would have happily gone to bed without nursing. He just forgot about it. But it was sort of a surprise to me and I couldn't bring myself to let it happen. Last night he definitely demanded it. To be honest, I haven't been producing much milk for a while now. The whole time he nurses, he just keeps asking for the other boob and then for the other boob and then for more please and he never is really satisfied with the amount of milk he gets.
Tonight was kind of a strange night as far as bedtime routine. He had a very dirty diaper and so I took him up and changed it. Then I brought him back down to say goodnight to Michelle and Frank who are here visiting. Then we went back upstairs, I brushed my teeth while he "brushed" his, and we went to his room. He read himself a couple books while I snuck some pj's on him and after looking through the Curious George book, I just told him it was time for night night. He went down just the same as always, I don't even think he realized that we had skipped nursing (which usually happens after brushing his teeth and before the diaper, pj's, books, etc.).
I feel like it was just exactly perfect. I feel like it was precisely the right time for him. Looking back, I'm proud that he has never demanded nursing. He doesn't have a word for it and he never nurses at times other than nap and bed times. He only fed on demand for the first few months, once he was eating solid food, I just switched over to first thing in the morning, at naptimes, and at bedtime. Then I dropped the naps. And then I dropped the morning. And bedtime was the last one standing. I am proud to say that I breastfed my baby for three days shy of 1 year and 9 months. It was right for us and I will certainly miss it. By the same token, we have so many other things that make us close and I will continue to cherish those.
No comments:
Post a Comment