Friday, December 7, 2012

Growing Up (December 7, 2012)

My baby is not a baby anymore. I realized this when I brought him home from daycare last night. I can exactly pinpoint the shift but there are several things that I think contribute to the realization. First, he cried this morning when Michael dropped him off. That was the first time he's done that. When I picked him up, he started crying again, seemingly out of relief that I came back for him. And I think that he hit his stride on walking yesterday like never before. For the first time, he doesn't look unbalanced at all, and he was running everywhere he went. Also, he was all over the place. I was trying to cook dinner and he was just circulating from room to room on foot. And he was frustrating the heck out of me because he seemed to clearly have his own agenda for the evening! Another thing is that I think he understands most of what we say at this point. Michael was giving him instructions last night ("get the ball for me" or "stack your blocks") and he knew exactly what was being asked of him. Similarly, when Michael was around the corner on his way home from work, I asked Micah, "Do you know who is coming home?" and he clicked his tongue like he does when Michael plays the drums. Then I asked where daddy was and he started laughing and cheering and made a bee-line for the door. It was pretty adorable. But not the actions of a baby. My baby is not a baby.

No comments:

Post a Comment