Monday, February 4, 2019

Birthdays

Birthdays always go by so fast.
Penelope woke up at 6am yesterday morning, humming Happy Birthday to herself. Then she started shouting "ECHO!" and I had to intervene. It was obvious that she wasn't going back to sleep, so I just climbed into bed with her and tried to keep her quiet and encourage sleep for as long as I could. When we went downstairs around 6:45, she was very excited to check out her birthday party decorations (seaweed streamers on the walls, balloons as bubbles handing from the ceiling) and her fish cupcakes, but she was most interested in having a balloon to play with herself.
Sadly, the morning of a birthday is always spent madly prepping and not actually spending time with the birthday kid. I made crumb cake and eggs for breakfast, mopped the kitchen and vacuumed the floors, and arranged food, drinks, and crafts all morning. Penelope's energy level was at a ten. She was dedicated to destroying anything Micah was working on and couldn't be deterred. She spent some time taking a walk with Michael, playing with Grandma Michelle, and a little bit of time watching Daniel Tiger.
Once the party was on, I barely saw her. The kids did watercolor painting, made aquarium snow globes, and played upstairs in Penelope's room. I'm told they were pretending to drive a bus and that's why they removed the mattress from her bed, so that they could sit on the floor in the bed frame.
We sang Happy Birthday, Penelope blew out the candles, she got a bunch of cool new toys plus clothes and a betta fish, Grandma and Grandpa brought pretzel dogs for dinner, Cece stayed to play all day, and Penelope didn't put up the least bit of fight when it was time for bed. She was exhausted.
At the end of the night, Penelope sat on my lap for a little while with the super bowl on tv while Micah sat next to us and he and I hummed Happy Birthday to her on repeat. It was sweet. I don't have many photos, but it was a good day.

No comments:

Post a Comment