This past week I spent my first night away from Micah. I went to a conference for work and actually spent two nights away on Hilton Head Island. I had originally thought we would just buy a plane ticket for Michael and with the hotel already paid for it would be an inexpensive vacation but we just didn't have the money for that so I went alone.
I was definitely nervous about it and I was worried about Michael being on solo duty just because I know how difficult that can be since I did a lot of solo duty in the last days of Michael's dissertation. And of course, the night before I left we watched a television show about prisoners of war who were imprisoned for 17 years. After that, I had it in my head that something terrible was going to happen on my flights. Obviously, everything went fine.
The conference was wonderful, the hotel was very nice, the ocean was perfect and honestly, it was easy. Michael seemed like he did great and they had all sorts of adventures together, he hung out with friends one evening and I'm sure that was rejuvenating. And on the third day, Micah was at the babysitter so Michael still had time to get some of his work done.
In the end, I left before Micah was awake Monday morning, was gone as planned through Wednesday, my flight and also my rescheduled flight were cancelled Wednesday night and so I didn't get back until Thursday morning. When I went to pick Micah up from the babysitter on Thursday, he came right over to see me, but when he saw that Michael was there too, he wanted nothing to do with me and insisted on being held by him!
But I got my quality time in with him afterward. We went to the park and took a walk to see some construction trucks at work, we ran down the hill together which he was completely thrilled by, and we played together when we got home. I think he learned a ton from having solo Dadda time and he seemed to have grown up just in the few days I was gone.
No comments:
Post a Comment