Sunday, January 6, 2013

So Many Changes (January 6, 2013)

The last few days have had so many things happen, I just have to dump it all here!

Yesterday morning, Micah woke up at around 7:45 and sounded happy. I was awake so I figured I would go get him before he started crying and as I got to his room, I was curious as to what he was babbling about. I peeked in. He was standing at the other end of the crib (farther from the door than usual), and looking and babbling at the Winnie the Pooh lamp on his dresser. When I went in and picked him up, he pointed at the lamp, so I walked to it with him and he pointed to Tigger and said "Meow". It was adorable. After that, I showed him the print that is hanging on his wall "O is for Owl" and told him that the owl says "Who" and when I walked over to that print with him this morning after his nap, he pointed at it and said "Who" again. So smart! :)

Really, that story is an indication of a general shift he has made. He seems to be talking in fake full sentences all the time the last few days. He's just making tons and tons of babbling sounds, talking to himself, talking to his toys. I swear he did not do this more than a couple days ago.

Yesterday morning we had another first as well. We took him out to breakfast at our typical place and for some reason the waitress gave him a placemat, a set of silverware, and brought him a small plate when she brought our food out. So I put some of my food on the plate for him and handed him a fork and he did a pretty good job with it! First time ever having his own plate, although I've let him mess around with silverware on his highchair tray quite a bit. I was especially impressed that he didn't decide to drop the plate on the floor. Generally, that's the reason I opt out of handing a plate to him, whenever I've tried before, he just wants to grab the plate in both hands, so I just take it back and give him the food instead. Since breakfast yesterday, I've given him his own bowl of food a couple times and let him feed himself. He's been doing surprisingly well with it and very little food has ended up on the floor somehow!

On the subject of food, he seems to have hit some kind of growth spurt the last couple days. It is just impossible to give him enough food. For breakfast yesterday morning, he had a banana, a bowl of baby cereal, a bowl of cheerios, a slice of toast at the restaurant, and probably one whole egg at the restaurant as well as some of my home fries! I figure it might be a brain related growth spurt since he's doing all sort of new things, the babbling, a handful of new words, moving toys around to climb onto the furniture or access the buttons on our computer printer.

In addition to being extra hungry, I think he's also been extra tired and that his schedule is shifting around a bit. But we haven't quite figured out what the new schedule is yet. His usual bedtime is 8pm but last night I was sitting on the sofa with him at 6:30 and he looked at me and said "Nah Nah". At first I thought he said banana but then I realized it was "Night Night". He climbed off my lap "Nah Nah. Nah Nah." He walked to the first floor apartment door which Michael happened to be coming into. He walked right past Michael "Nah Nah." To the stairs and started climbing. He climbed up to the second floor and walked into the bathroom. So I gave him a bath and put him to bed at 7pm. And miraculously he pretty much slept through the night with the exception of nursing at 3:30am! He even slept until 8am! And he's still taken two solid naps today. Something is definitely going on. And it's pretty darn cute too!

No comments:

Post a Comment