We had a horrible experience today. Micah loves going up and down the stairs: the stairs to the second floor, the stairs to the basement, the front step to the house, the steps up to the porch, the stairs and steps on the playground equipment.
We were sitting in the living room. I was doing some prep work for a phone interview I had this morning. Micah was playing with toys from his toybox. He crawled across the room and I noticed kaya following him with her nose to his diaper. It was so cute and I have never seen her do that before. I made a joke about it to Michael and took Micah upstairs to change his diaper. Kaya was right, it was completely full.
I put Micah on the floor in his room and went to wash the diaper out in the toilet. I went back and put it in the diaper bag and then I called for him to follow me. He rushed over and went to open the curtain that hangs in the doorway to the stairwell. I held it back for him and then stepped forward to work my way around him and get onto the stair below him. He's really really good on the stairs so it was an important precaution but I wasn't in a huge hurry. Before I could get to him, he rushed for the stairs and had so much momentum that even as he was turning to get his feet down to the first step, he started falling and rolled all the way down to the landing, he landed mostly on his butt and then continued to fall backwards and his head hit the landing.
It happened so fast I couldn't do anything but scream "the baby is falling down the stairs." Michael was in the basement playing drums and heard it. He came running upstairs. By the time he got to the bottom of the stairs, I had scooped up the screaming baby and was at the bottom of the stairs with him.
He was fine. He was screaming but not a bump or bruise on his body and he recovered after about ten minutes. But it was none the less horrifying.
I'm sure lots of kids fall down stairs or off the bed or something like that and so I don't necessarily feel like a bad parent or anything like that but I do feel really sad about it. It was so scary. I love that baby so much.
We were sitting in the living room. I was doing some prep work for a phone interview I had this morning. Micah was playing with toys from his toybox. He crawled across the room and I noticed kaya following him with her nose to his diaper. It was so cute and I have never seen her do that before. I made a joke about it to Michael and took Micah upstairs to change his diaper. Kaya was right, it was completely full.
I put Micah on the floor in his room and went to wash the diaper out in the toilet. I went back and put it in the diaper bag and then I called for him to follow me. He rushed over and went to open the curtain that hangs in the doorway to the stairwell. I held it back for him and then stepped forward to work my way around him and get onto the stair below him. He's really really good on the stairs so it was an important precaution but I wasn't in a huge hurry. Before I could get to him, he rushed for the stairs and had so much momentum that even as he was turning to get his feet down to the first step, he started falling and rolled all the way down to the landing, he landed mostly on his butt and then continued to fall backwards and his head hit the landing.
It happened so fast I couldn't do anything but scream "the baby is falling down the stairs." Michael was in the basement playing drums and heard it. He came running upstairs. By the time he got to the bottom of the stairs, I had scooped up the screaming baby and was at the bottom of the stairs with him.
He was fine. He was screaming but not a bump or bruise on his body and he recovered after about ten minutes. But it was none the less horrifying.
I'm sure lots of kids fall down stairs or off the bed or something like that and so I don't necessarily feel like a bad parent or anything like that but I do feel really sad about it. It was so scary. I love that baby so much.
No comments:
Post a Comment